My favorite time of the year is upon us… the season of thanksgiving and bestowing gifts upon others. It all starts with reflecting how grateful we are for our many blessings and successes over the past year. Whether these accomplishments were made through businesses endeavors or simply through our personal sweat-equity, we are grateful for those opportunities. We can profit from the many benefits that come from having a grateful heart such as improving our physical and psychological health. Gratitude also enhances empathy and reduces aggression and it can help people sleep better too. These are just a few good reasons how feeling grateful can improve our bottom line which allows for the next step.
Being grateful is only half of what stands out during the holiday season. As soon as the dishes have been cleared from the Thanksgiving feast, we are reminded that, “Hey, “Black Friday” is only a few hours away!!” In an instant, our thoughts go from being “grateful” to thinking about gifting and sharing with others. We can all understand how giving to others is good for our community and the world, but giving can also reap huge benefits in our own lives as well. Did you know that giving to others lowers our blood pressure and stress levels? This, alone, will help each one of us live longer and happier lives.
So, in honor of the season, I have put together a few examples where you can reach out to the community and show your gratitude by giving back.
- Choose a local Charity Event that is relevant to you and your business and donate money, be a sponsor or volunteer your time.
- Encourage your business team to get involved in a fundraising event such as Toys-For-Tots.
- If your company has a budget for donations, provide a Turkey Give Away program for families in need.
- Have a garage sale in your neighborhood and donate the profits to charity.
- The local homeless shelter or soup kitchen could always use a helping hand.
- Provide care-packages for people in need; For example… the troops, seniors, kids and teens in group homes, the homeless
- Let us help our planet by recycling! The proceeds can once again go to a charity.
With all of the wonderful benefits that go along with being thankful and giving back, let’s make a difference in our communities through our valued time and efforts this holiday season.