Here are the last five tips in MJB’s Bookkeeping Solutions series to help you save some money. Let us know how we did, and feel free to share your ideas with us in this blog, on Facebook, Linked In, or Twitter.
26. Trade in video games. If you are a gamer or have kids with an Xbox, we all know the $60 game that was the hottest thing you could own last month has all but been forgotten about in favor of the next. Game Stop will buy used games in-store, or you can try listing them on Half.com.
27. Have movie night with Redbox or Netflix. Redbox lets you rent movies for $1 per day — and with Netflix, you can watch as many movies as you want for a small cost per month. You can save a bundle.
28. Switch to generic prescriptions. Making the switch from name-brand to generic prescriptions can save you thousands per year on the cost of medication, as well as co-pays. As your doctor to prescribe generic.
29. Go generic on food and cosmetics. You know there’s no real difference between Cheerios and Safeway Toasted Oats, so why pay an extra $4 per box? Same goes for most drugstore makeup. Sure, a few products are hit or miss, but overall, switching to generic brands when shopping can save 20 percent or more.
30. Order your glasses online. You don’t have to buy your frames from your optometrist’s office. After an eye exam, take your prescription and shop online for a deeply discounted pair of frames. There won’t be any friendly assistant to ensure they fit just right, but hey, you’re saving serious dough!